I was privileged to take a tour of the Holocaust Museum in DC two summers ago…
January 27 marks the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest Nazi death camp. In 2005, the United Nations General Assembly designated this day as International Holocaust Remembrance Day (IHRD), an annual day of commemoration to honor the victims of the Nazi era. Every member nation of the U.N. has an obligation to honor the memory of Holocaust victims and develop educational programs as part of an international resolve to help prevent future acts of genocide. The U.N. resolution that created IHRD rejects denial of the Holocaust, and condemns discrimination and violence based on religion or ethnicity.
To commemorate International Holocaust Remembrance Day on January 27, 2011, the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum will host a candle-lighting ceremony attended by the Washington, D.C. diplomatic community, Holocaust survivors, and the general public. The ceremony will take place in the Museum’s Hall of Remembrance.
Read or watch President Barack Obama’s remarks commemorating International Holocaust Remembrance Day in 2010, which acknowledges the work of Sara Bloomfield and the Museum in preserving the memory of the Holocaust.
In addition, each April or May the United States officially commemorates the Holocaust during the national Days of Remembrance. The Museum is mandated by the U.S. Congress to lead the nation in commemorating this day.
Visit http://www.ushmm.org/remembrance/dor/ for more information and resources.
Watch a CBS public service announcement about International Holocaust Remembrance Day, featuring Katie Couric and the Museum.
Read an International Holocaust Remembrance Day Op-ed on preventing genocide today.
- United Nations Holocaust Remembrance site(The theme for 2011 is “Women and the Holocaust: Courage and Compassion”.)
- Special program for International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Liberation of Auschwitz, January 27, 1945
- Auschwitz(USHMM Holocaust Encyclopedia)
- Português (BR)
- Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum
- UN Press Release: General Assembly adopts resolution condemning any denial of the Holocaust, January 26, 2007
- UN marks Holocaust Day as constant reminder to prevent future genocides, January 29, 2007
- Holocaust Memorial Day (UK)
- The United States Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe’s statement on the 65th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz
WOMEN DURING THE HOLOCAUST